Saturday, July 24, 2010

Dancing With The Stars & Other Revitalizing Moments With God

I have to laugh. I have a new friend whom I already feel is a very good friend. His mind is sharp. His spirit is gracious and open to God's. His knowledge is deeper than simple "book learning;" moving from "head knowledge" to "spiritual wisdom," he has already shown me the very rare and quite Christ-like quality of "integration." I trust him and respect him.

This week he made mention that my "astrological sign" was listed on my profile here at my blog. Not remembering having filled out such nonsensical information, I went back and saw a very small box that one needed to UN-check (don't you just despise those things) if you didn't want your zodiac sign automatically included in your profile. Go figure. It is now officially un-checked. "Victory is mine,' saith the Lord."

But that whole thing made me start thinking about looking at the stars. Are you like me in that? You see, I've found that there are several activities (or non-activites, as some would say) which help me to slow my soul's raging, calm my nerves, and lift my spirit into a surprised communion with God. Watching fish swim their dance around a fish tank. Watching the flames of a fire dance in the fireplace. And yes, watching the stars tread the familiar steps of their dance through the night sky, a dance so well known that never is a step missed, always is the Creator's design followed in perfection of timing.

Inevitably, such little things lead me to a simple-yet-profound contemplation of the Divine. I find myself, in a way I'm not even sure I understand, dancing with the stars (to borrow a rather common terms these days).

Then I realize something that amazes even to this day, though I've launched into those contemplations thousands of times in my life; I realize that all unbidden my soul is being revitalized. My spirit is being healed and reborn through the quiet, all-powerful, supremely careful touch of God that always comes with communion.

Did I say "communion?" Well, thinking of it now, isn't that what is really was, is and always will be? Dancing with stars isn't really dancing with the stars, is it? It's really communing with the Creator. And I always feel better about "things," "others," "self," and the future when it happens.

This coming week I'm going to be "sweating with the oldies." Meaning what, Bozeman? Meaning that I'm going to be going back to lead the music at a Campmeeting, those "old-time religion" kinds of songs. It's going to be HOT outside under that old tabernacle with a tin roof! Services morning and evening for a week! My body always seems to protest the heat, pleading "why can't we do this the SANE way and be indoors in the AC?!?" But my spirit "gets it." There at Campmeeting, with sweat rolling down my back, with shirt plastered to my chest... right there, right then I realize the truth: I'm doing what Jesus did, for the same reason Jesus did it, and receiving the same benefits. I'm getting away from the hustle and bustle of the crowd... sitting in quiet contemplation of God... reaching communion with the Holy Spirit... being revitalized as the truth comes rolling down like thunderous waters. What truth? Only this: that like the deer that pants for water and finds it, I have been subconsiously crying out for a holy connection with the Lord of the Dance... and there, away from it all, I am blessed to find myself dancing again (whether my feet were moving or not).

God is SO good!

Kirk

1 comment:

  1. enjoyed reading your blog Kirk; hope you had a great week at Campmeeting singng, dancing, and worshipping...

    ReplyDelete