Thursday, July 15, 2010

Communicating Christ

Went to a Bar-B-Que place once... it was in the back side of what we used to call a "Filling Station." For you under 50's it's called a "gas station" these days. That's right - it was in the back room of a gas station! (This was before restaurants were "graded" and/or had to post their "cleanliness grade." It would never have passed!)

As I recall, the place was called "The Flying Pig" or "The Pig and Jig," or "The Pig & Whistle" or something suitably porky. The BBQ was amazing! I ordered an "outside pork sandwich." Woah, buddy! Stellar! Absolutely marvelous! I was there at what should have been the middle of the lunch rush, but I was the only one there. "What's wrong with this picture," I mused.

Unable to restrain my curiosity, I asked the owner/server/cook if I happened to have come in on an off day. "Nope... 'bout like usual," came the reply. "You should take out a full-page add in The Atlanta Journal, man; this stuff is great," said I.

Guess what his response was. "Nah, I don't pay for no publicity. I just depend on folks tell other folks about me."

If he had only had a little vision! He missed just how important communication really is! I'd be willing to bet that if he had just taken out one add a month or so, I wouldn't have been able to get a seat! His product was great! But he wasn't telling his story to the people around him! He wasn't reminding people of what he wanted them to know, so business was slim. In fact, it turns out that even his sign out front was rusted past recognition.

There he was, cooking the finest BBQ I've ever tasted, and his place was empty because he wasn't letting people know what he served, when he served it, and where to get it.

When I thought about I realized just how truly important for the Kingdom communication is. My church may have the finest, most life changing, Kingdom-building programming and ministries in the world, but if the members AND the community don't know the "who, what, when, where, how and why" of it all, we may as well let the sign out front rust beyond recognition, because slowly, person by person, family by family, my church will dwindle. The food it provides will go unknown; people will drive right by never realizing that they are only feet away from relevant, life-changing, soul-saving food for the spirit.

Today I think I'll make sure I tell somebody on my street about my Northbrook UMC. It's got some of the best "food" around! So I'll ask my staff to make sure they're telling the stories - keeping our people informed and excited... and leave the rest to God - AND IT'LL ALL BE GOOD!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well said! ..and you are correct, the soul food at NBUMC is great! ...and getting better every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk once again a nail hit right on the head. Gave me something to think about and write for the newsletter at Mt.Carmel. Thank you for sending me an email about your blog

    ReplyDelete